Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why I (sadly) cannot support the GI Joe 25th Aniversary line




25th Aniversary Scarlet, Carded Scarlet, 1982 Scarlet

First, I'll say that I actually enjoy the appearance with the 25th aniversary GI Joe line. It takes many of the serious anatomical flaws of the A Real American Hero (ARAH) line that was from 1982 until 1994 and in various incarnations from 1997 to 1999, and 2000 to 2006. It also replaces the dreaded o-ring which was prone to breaking because it held the torso to the legs.

I consider Star Wars to be my soul, but GI Joe to be the more realistic side of my personality. My views on GI Joe have evolved as I have. I've gone away from the science fiction, laser cannon, aspects to everyone has a real (or real enough) world weapon, vehicles have to have some function, and the technology should match what is probable or available.

That said, during the 2000-2006 time frame especially, paint applicaitons and accessories improved. They could take fairly detailed or simple molds from the ARAH line, update a character, and put it out on the market. I bought a fair number during this time. Why? Some of my originals had broken thumbs, waist pieces, foot pegs, etc. Basically they were well worn toys, and I could recapture my childhood, possibly pass it on in the near future. Also, a plus is the different plastic is used in the arms/hands meaning no more broken thumbs!!!


So I have basically a "new" version of most of the classic charaters I owned and needed a replacement, and several other characters who I never was able to get. There were the same anatomical problems. The line sort of withered, never catching on with kids, and barely keeping the adult fans interested.

Than came the 25th Aniversary line. New body type eliminating the o-ring. It also moved the femur/pelvis joint to the side and instead of in front just to either side of the center line. My biggest complaint on the 25th line in terms of representation is that it doesn't hide the joint that is in the midchest representing the ribs on the lower body and they have chicken legs. These representations are fairl accurate to the card art, the comic art or the tv cartoon renderings. These figures are essentially superior to the ARAH versions. However, the technology to make them existed essentially from 2002 on. The other thing is that these are also quarter of an inch taller on average changing the scale from 3.75" to 4" scale. Why wait? Why not make these superior versions sooner? They have more articulation, they have more anatomically correct versions. The answer is probably adult GI Joe fan whining about the o-ring and body changes.


I bought these characters twice already in 25 years. I can't buy them a third time with most being in the last 5 years. I'm not totally boycotting, but I am only acquiring certain accessories, vehicles and only new characters or things called the DVD packs which bundle several figures, a build an accessory item (the M.A.S.S. Device from the original cartoon), and the DVD of 5 episodes that focuses on what was included toywise. The price point makes it the equivalent of buying a DVD movie anyways, so for the price of the movie I get a bunch of toys I can either keep or trade away to others for toys I actually want.

For this reason I don't actively collect this toy line. I realy don't actively collect Star Wars that much either. I'm only looking at comic packs for the most part in that area for pretty much the same reason (they make new characters instead of tweaking existing ones).

No comments: