Monday, September 24, 2007

Wierdness, Was it a Test or Was it Just Weird?

So on Friday, I go to an interview in Des Moines Iowa at an internal lab for a company, Darling International. They do food products analyzing for pesticides, protein content in animal fats, types fats in cooking oils etc. How was this one wierd?

First, I was told it was to be both the person and her boss. Just the person. No one else in the entire lab was there. While she was a lab person, and I'm a lab person, we walked through. Talked a little about bouncing around. All the while it seemed like I was being tested/quizzed over a variety of things, while she worked away at a variety of things.

Was I supposed to know everything she asked? Was I supposed to join in? What about my own protection until I read a chemical hygiene plan, read the MSDS of the area, etc I don't know what I'm being exposed to. I also wonder about chain of custody and validity of results. If I touch anything do I invalidate all their analysis? Just weird.

So now I'm in Minneapolis. Xin's training in SAS. Were going to meet my high school friend/teammate Aaron and his wife, but she's going to have surgery. Hope it goes well. She's too young and pretty to have these sort of eye problems.

What's downtown Minneapolis like? Well it's very nice. Lots of shops and office buildings all interconnected by a series of walk ways. It's called the Nicolet Mall, surprisingly because it is on Nicolet Blvd/St/Ave in the downtown area. There's Target, Macy's etc. The one complaint is that outside of Subway, all the food is a bit overpriced for the downtown expierence.

We're staying at the Ramada downtown (the university of Iowa will pay the final bill). There is a decent work out room for a hotel, the traditional weight station, exercise bike, 2 treadmills and a tv to watch while doing the deed. The pool is heated, and so far no unpleasant minors to kick out of the hot tub which is Xin's new favorite. It's also very relaxing after hard lifting. The rest of the place sucks. Double beds, crappy beat up, should be replaced, next to no channels on the TV, having to search hi and low for the remote, tub and bathroom very dated and no independent control of the light outside the bathroom and foyer. The worst of all is Xin and my reliance on free continental breakfasts at places we stay. This place has none (believe it or not, Super 8 Motels have a great breakfast). Had to search high and low before finding a Brugers Bagles.

No comments: